Make this November about health, not extra servings of pie.
The average American gains 5 lbs during the holiday and most people never lose the extra lbs. That’s right, it stays on year after year after year…
Scary, isn’t it?
Make this the year that you beat this scary statistic and make a commitment to your body that you can be proud of.
This November the inspirational, Sam Lambooy of Slambooy Fitness and Betsy Fry of Find Food Peace and 365 Days of Sweat are hosting a “November Workout Challenge.” Instead of hibernating as the days get shorter and colder, choose to workout everyday in November and take charge of your health.
Here’s the rundown:
- Workout everyday in November.
- You choose the intensity, duration and type of workout.
- Post what you did in the Facebook group “My November Workout Challenge.”
- Take photos of your workout and post them on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter with the hashtag #activenovember and find all the other people around the world participating (seriously, we already have an Aussie and a Brit!).
- Be an advocate for health and invite your friends/family to join you!
- A free conference call for all participants led by Sam Lambooy and Betsy Fry. We will be giving tips, encouragement, inspiration and answering all questions.
Are any of these reasons why you don’t want to participate:
- November is the best month for eating and starting off my winter hibernation the right way!
- The holidays are the ultimate diversion from my health goals.
- I’ll start working out again after the family season ends.
- It’s too cold/dark/snowy outside and I hate being confined to the gym.
- I have been thinking about committing to a regular workout regimen, but it’s too hard to commit to anything during the holidays.
- I intend on being in a tryptophan coma all month.
- There will be too much traveling/family time/shopping/stress to try to include working out.
If any of these sound familiar to you, then take a risk and let go of your excuses. We challenge you to leap out of your comfort zone for one month.
Now that you’ve read all about the challenge, it’s time to make a wholehearted commitment to yourself. All you have to do is write “I’m so down to sweat!” in the comment section below. Once you do this, we will add you to the Facebook support group and answer any questions or calm any fears you may have.
Welcome to the challenge! We are so happy to have you!
With sweaty love,
Betsy Fry and Sam Lambooy
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged betsy fry, betsy salzler, Challenge, Denver, Gym, happiness, Health, holidays, running, sam lambooy, slambooy, sweat, weight gain, weight loss, workout, Yoga
Even though the weather in Colorado is still boasting record high heat, I am day dreaming about pulling out my long-sleeve running shirts and breathing in cool crisp autumn air. Can you believe that summer is almost over? It seems like just yesterday closets were being switched from winter to summer clothes and lawnmowers were being pulled out of the garage
All of this season changing talk was what reminded me that I have not posted any of my new posts on my 365 website. In case you have not subscribed to my new blog, I wanted to share some of the cool things topics that have been covered at FindFoodPeace. Including a really cool free monthly challenge group that you can join today and the most popular blog post I have ever written. And of course, some other fun topics that might resonate with you:
3 Tips To Never Miss Another Workout
Stop Dieting and Lose Weight Now!
What I Learned From Mastin Kipp
What I Wish I Would Have Known In My 20s
The Key To Happiness You Might Be Missing
Enjoy the rest of your summer and don’t forget to indulge in your favorite pumpkin flavored treat!
There is a lot of awesome action going on right now over at Find Food Peace. Including photographs by a real photographer (if you are a business/website owner and you have not done this yet- get. on. it!), weekly blog posts on how to create a body & a life you love and a new affordable life coaching program for the masses.
In case you have missed any of my recent posts, here is a quick recap for you:
Stick To Your Goals With One Easy Step
A Common Mistake That Dieters Make Daily
Love Your Body In A Swimsuit By This Weekend
Lose Your Negative Thoughts In Seconds
The Single Most Important Thing You Can Teach Yourself
How To Become A Happier Person
The Three Reasons You Are Not Losing Weight
If any of these posts speak to you or if you have any burning questions, leave your comments below the blog and I will get back to you ASAP! I have some spare time carved out of my day just for that 🙂
Although we are still three weeks away from the official day of summer, I am going to declare it summer in Colorado. Today the temperature is in the high 80s and judging by how hot our home was last night, I am guessing the temps did not drop much lower than that in the evening.
With the summer months comes bbq’s, leisurely bike rides, family time, fresh mown grass, long sunny days, lemonade and popsicle’s, road trips and afternoons spent lounging at the pool. Some people workout more to look dyno-mite at the beach and others use their precious time to spend with family. Typically, I come out of winter hibernation and use May-October as my months to explore outside while sweating as much as humanly possible.
This year is no different. A friend of mine started a website called Slambooy Fitness (last name: Lambooy. Fun play on words, right?) to share his knowledge and passion for fitness with others through his health tips, workout plans, meal prep instruction, and monthly challenges. His first challenge already has a massive following that I wanted to share with you, in case you needed some support/inspiration/challenge in your (sweaty) life. Here’s the deal:
- Run a 5k everyday in June (start today since I am just now telling you about this!)
- Post your run details on Instagram or Twitter
- Use #slambooy5kchallenge to find others that can support you
- Start your summer off by annihilating this goal!
This month I am committing to this challenge and I hope that you will too! If you need any personalized support, shoot me an email and we can cheer each other on. Happy sunny, sweaty and goal-crushy summer!
**Picture LOL: my cousin found this on a workout site and forwarded it to me. How did this person know that I rock a 10 minute pace?!**
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged betsy fry, Challenge, coach, Denver, fit, Fitness, happiness, Health, run, summer, workout
In the past month alone I have had four clients ask, me “what do you mean by ‘take the time to feel your feelings? How do I do that?’” It was a really good question that was asked by incredibly bright women.
A lot of us go through life thinking that suppressing our true feelings makes us seem courageous, fiercely independent or free from emotional neediness. Sound familiar? See if you can find yourself in this example: You are at upset with yourself for not following through on a goal and rather than face the reasons why, you choose to forget about the goal and ignore the emotions felt alongside of it.
By doing this you are telling yourself that whatever you are feeling is not important enough to be felt. Then some of these thoughts come along, “This feeling will pass. It wasn’t a big deal anyways. I was making too big of a deal out of this situation. These feelings are definitely not justified.”
You convince yourself that whatever emotion you were feeling should not have been felt, then you repress it and move on. Who gave you this message that what you are feeling should not be discussed or felt?
If this sounds like something that is part of your routine, then I have got some news for you; these emotions will never stop coming. They will painfully creep up on you for the rest of your life and it is your choice whether you want to keep sweeping them under the rug or if you want to examine the crap out of them. Trust me when I tell you that the examination process is way more fun than sweeping. Who likes cleaning anyways?
Dive deep into your feelings
Before you dive in and start a feeling frenzy, remember that nobody has ever died from feeling a feeling. A feeling is just an emotion, nothing more. There is nothing to be scared of and so much to be learned.
So the next time waves of emotions come up, I want you to stop and follow these seven quick steps:
- Identify the emotion. Am I feeling sad, lonely, scared, angry, confused, annoyed, thrilled, trapped or overwhelmed?
- Focus solely on the emotion, not the stories created around the emotion. Example: I am upset because I have gained 15 lbs this year. What you make the story mean: I have gained 15 lbs and now that I have started gaining, I will NEVER stop. I will end up living life as an obese woman that nobody will ever love and I will die alone.
- Feel your emotion. With your one chosen emotion in mind, sit down, close your eyes and allow this emotion to really sink in. Feel the depths of this emotion. Explore why you feel this way. Ask questions about it. If you feel inclined, grab a journal and write it all out.
- Physically express your emotion. Once you are done sitting with your feeling, decide if you would like to have a physical reaction to it. Do you want to cry? Scream? Hit a pillow? What physical reaction will allow you to feel this emotion deeper?
- Shake it out! You will know when you are done feeling it emotionally and physically. Stand up, drink a glass of water and shake out the excess emotions.
- Put your emotions in motion! Go for a walk, dance to your favorite song, ride a bike, clean your cabinets. Use this flow of energy to move your body. Trust that your body knows what to do. If you are too spent to move, then choose rest and be okay with that option too.
- Acknowledge yourself for a job well done. You just felt all of the depth of an emotion and survived!
Keep on using this model until you become comfortable with your emotions. The first time you run through this it might feel awkward and could take a while. Over time, this process will speed up and you will become a master at feeling your feelings and a spiritual teacher in your own life. I don’t know about you, but to me that sounds way better than picking up a broom.
Let me know how this process works for you! What happened once you let go and felt something? Did you feel a shift? Empower your feelings and leave your story below!
I had this crazy idea that I was dying to try out with some of you! I created a new life coaching group called “The Peace Posse” to give more women the option to try out life coaching, without having to make a massive financial commitment. You will receive top-notch one-on-one coaching and get your hands on tools that will help you break free from painful emotional eating quickly. This Posse would also be ideal for former clients, looking for some small accountability along the way.
Here is the scoop:
- Two private 20 minute coaching sessions per month for $49.
- Add an additional 60 minute coaching session for $149 per month.
- Awesome coaching techniques taught to you in shortened, 20 minute calls.
*This coaching option will only be available to 10 clients at a time. If you are interested, please email me, firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get ya all hooked up.
It’s been quite awhile since I have written about working out, but today, I felt a tug at my little writing heart string to post about where I am in my sweating world.
Since my 365 days of sweat challenge ended, I have been continuing to workout. At first, I thought that I would stick to working out everyday and I was quick to realize that it was not sustainable, and I was not happy doing it. Too much time has passed to update you on what I have been doing every month, but I can fill you in on what my working out looks like right now.
A couple of standout moments happened this past week while I was adorning spandex and sports bras. The first happened when I went to a yoga class with an instructor that I knew I did not jive with (sign #1). I walked into the studio, peeked into the class and saw one other student (sign #2). Despite the lack of yogi’s, I rolled out my mat and started warming up. All of the sudden this massive wave of intuition rushed over me and told me to leave before class started (sign #3). I ignored all three signs and struggled through the hour-long practice. It. Was. Horrible. I left angry and upset with myself for ignoring such a strong internal vibe.
After class, I came home and continued to be upset for a few hours. You’re probably thinking, “What’s the big deal? It was just a bad class.” True, it was just a bad class. However, it sucked me into a vortex of negativity and I was having problems getting out of it. My husband recommended a walk with Journey and himself to shake out this new funk. We walked and talked about all the reasons why my mind spiraled OOC (out of control!). I explained to him why I thought it was so important to understand the depths of my emotions and within 25 minutes, I was back to myself again.
The reason I wanted to share this with you was to reiterate the importance of listening to yourself. Of course there are going to be times when you veer off course, however, it is incredibly poignant to question why you lost sight of your needs and figure out how to avoid doing it again.
I challenge you to really tune into your needs today. Listen to what you want, figure out why you want it and then follow through with it. Compare how that feels versus choosing to ignore yourself. If it works for you, I’d love to hear how it goes. Leave a comment below this blog and an action plan for how you intend to keep it up!